Monday 10 June 2013

A FLOWER CAN MEAN MORE THAN YOU THINK

Flowers can be beautiful to look at, sure, but did you know that they each have their own special meaning? In the Victorian era, people would give each other flowers, depending on their message, as a romantic gesture. The receiver, would rush home to look up its hidden meaning in a flower dictionary and give a flower in response.  

I recently read a novel that was based off of this idea, and thought, how cool would it be if people still actually did this? I would give my best friend who I only see twice a year a freesia meaning "lasting friendship", fill my room with lupines for "imagination" and give my boyfriend a tulip to declare my love for him. 

 Thinking back, I have received a flower or two that meaning ironically makes sense now.
I thought it was kind of strange when my first boyfriend in college gave me a yellow rose, which I now know means "infidelity," and I can't forget the time a bad friend gave me a bouquet of peony's,   meaning "anger."

After what has felt like the longest winter in years, summer is finally here. The new warm weather makes the world seem bright and beautiful (even on this rainy evening). When I open my window in my tiny apartment, I can smell the fresh flowers from the florist around the corner. Its perfume begging me to come in and fill my room with flowers radiating love, creativeness and happiness.  
   
So, this summer, why not keep the tradition going and give someone special a flower with a meaning you want to convey? Here are some of my favorite flowers and their meanings:


Acacia -- Secret Love

Daffodil -- New Beginnings 

Wisteria -- Welcome

Camilla -- My Destiny In Your Hands

Baby’s Breath -- Everlasting Love

White Carnation -- Sweet and Lovely

White Clover -- Think of Me

Daisy -- Innocence

Ivy -- Fidelity

Lily of the Valley -- Return of Happiness

Magnolia -- Dignity

Jonquil -- Desire

Marigold -- Grief

Oleander -- Beware

Petunia -- Your Presence Soothes Me

Poppy -- Fantastic Extravagance

Red Rose -- Love

Pink Rose -- Grace

Yellow Rose -- Infidelity

Sunflower -- False Riches

Tulip -- Declaration of Love

Verbena -- Pray For Me

For more on the Victorian Flower dictionary check out this novel, The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment